I believe that almost every human being has or has had negative body image issues at some point in their lives. For some it’s more severe than others. If your case is so severe that it’s taking up so time time and energy out of your day, then I’d definitely seek professional help. But if it’s not as severe, then I have good news for you. You can instantly make yourself better with this tip I’m going to share. Wether you’re having bad body image thoughts, or just bad day in general, this tip will make you feel better instantly.
No matter what kind of negative body image thoughts you have, there’s a genius way out!
Let’s say you often look at yourself in the mirror and see cellulite that you absolutely hate. Or you scroll through Instagram and compare yourself to someone you wish you could be like. You get all caught up in those negative body image thoughts and live your day hating your body.
First, I’d like to inform you what the solution for you body image thoughts are NOT. It’s not punishing yourself through a workout. It’s not restricting your calories, and certainly not buying “fix this problem” type of product.
This is exactly what you need to do instead when you have a bad body image day
- Catch the thought as soon as you can, and acknowledge that it’s there. Just be aware of it, without judging it or being ashamed of it.
- Jump! Once you’ve caught that thought, physically prove to yourself that you’re aware of it by doing a little jump. I know it sounds silly, but trust me it works!
- Now that you’re 100% aware, sit down and notice how you feel. From a scale 1-10 (10 being the worst) how bad are your body image thoughts? Keep that number in mind.
- Whatever that number is, you want it to get lower. So ask yourself; How do I want to feel right now. Is you body image thought at 8 and you want to go down to 2? How would it feel if you went down to 2?
- Sit down, close your eyes and imagine that there’s an image of TV volume in your head and you have the controller in your hand.
- In your minds eye imagine that you’re pushing the volume button down. And with each step you pay attention to how much calmer you’re feeling.
- Once you get to your desired point, open your eyes, smile and notice how much better you feel.
This little trick can literally be used for anything. Not just when you’re having bad body image days. You can use it when you have anxiety, feeling nervous, stressed.
I’d love to know how this trick works for you when you try it. Email me or simply comment in the comment section!
If you want to help anyone stress less in their life, then share this article with them so you can improve their stress levels.