Everyone has at some point or another experienced digestive issues, including myself. Unfortunately today’s food lacks proper nutrition. Even organic produce doesn’t have sufficient minerals and nutrients, even though it’s still the better choice over conventional produce. There are many factors that can cause you to have bad digestion, such as lack of fiber, dehydration, insufficient sleep, stress and more.
If you want better digestion, then read and implement these 6 easy ways to improve digestion.
Digestion starts the moment the food enters your mouth and doesn’t stop until it exits your body. Chewing and enzymes in your saliva are what kick starts the digestive process. Carbohydrates break down first, then comes protein and finally fats.
Are you one of the millions of Americans that suffers from digestive issues? Luckily for you I am going to share my best advice and tips that I have learned over the years on how to improve digestion.
- Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water.
- Water helps to dissolve fiber and make your stools easier to pass. Do make sure not to drink water 30 minutes before and after a meal.
- Eat more fiber from sources such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes.
- Fiber helps to keep the waste moving through your intestines.
- Chew your food.
- The more you chew the food, the less work for your body. Plus it’s a good “workout” for your alveolar bone (bones that keep your teeth in place).
- Get enough sleep and stress less.
- Did you know that your gut is your second “brain?”. Long story short; stress and lack of sleep affects the signals between your brain and your gut brain, which leads to shut down of blood flow, decreased secretions needed for digestion etc.
- Incorporate probiotics into your daily routine.
- This way you will add more good bacteria to your digestive tract and therefor support better digestion.
- Last but not least get active.
- One of my favorite things about working out is that it relieves stress. That goes hand in hand with my above mentioned advice, less stress, better digestion.
Share this Post